Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Festivals, and Orientations, and School - Oh My!

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven’t gotten around to updating this since I got back from the Rotary Orientation. I was busy and when I had free time I really didn’t feel like writing. Haha. My apologies. I’m going to backtrack a little and talk about Friday. I am hoping to squeeze in everything that has happened between Friday and today, but with my detailed writing, this may become very long. Well, let’s try it! Hobey ho! Let’s go!

On Friday, I was asked to help work at my host parents’ business. I was happy to accept the offer and I went with my host grandparents to make deliveries all around Shirakawa-shi and area. We delivered all sorts of things like bulk business cards to stacks of colored paper. It was a great time to talk to my host grandparents and teach them a few English words and they would teach me Japanese words in return. It was a long day and by the time we got home I was exhausted. But I had no time to rest. My friend Yuki and her mother were at my house waiting for me. They were going to take me to the Bon Festival! The Bon Festival (or sometimes called Obon) takes place all across Japan for three days but on different days depending on the area. It usually takes place during the month of August.

We drove to Yuki’s house where I met her grandparents and her sister. Her mom took me to a room where she had everything set up to get us ready for the festival. Yuki’s mother did my hair and I was shocked at how beautiful it looked once she was finished. When I saw the yukata, it is a summer kimono made out of cloth, I would be wearing, I was shocked. It was so beautiful, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to keep it. Yuki’s grandmother helped me put the yukata on…it was a lot more complicated than I thought. Everyone kept saying: “Kawaii!” (cute) or “Kirei ne!” (pretty) when I walked out of the room. It was slightly overwhelming, but Yuki’s mom and grandmother did a great job of getting me ready.



One of Yuki’s friends also came to her house to get helped in her yukata. Her name is Akane and she will be going to my school as well. I can’t remember if she will be in the same class as me, but she is in the same grade for sure. And of course, she was super nice. When we arrived at the festival grounds, I was blown away. Just the other day I had passed this lot and it was completely empty. Now, as I stood before it, there were booths everywhere selling food or trinkets, a huge stage in the middle, and lit lanterns everywhere. I whipped out my camera to take a picture and…it told me to change my batteries. Then I realized I had left my extra set back at Yuki’s house. I was quite devastated, but my moods quickly picked up as the festival began.

I met two more of Yuki’s friends, Kirin and Mihon, and they hung out with me during the whole festival. Mihon is in the same grade at my school as well but Kirin goes to a different high school in town. Yuki and Akane were a part of the performance going onstage. On stage, some older ladies sang traditional songs while traditional Japanese instruments were played. Yuki and Akane were a part of the group playing the wooden flutes. It was pretty cool.

Kirin and Mihon bought me dinner, yakisoba, and a frozen dessert that was sort of like a snow cone. After we ate we continued to wander around the stalls and chat with each other. With Yuki’s encouragement, she got us to start dancing around the stage with other people. It was a traditional styled dance and we picked it up quickly and probably danced for an hour. When we finished, we got free coupons to spend at any booth in the festival so we all bought Cotton Candy. The festival came to a close and Yuki’s mom drove us all home. It was the most fun I have had with new Japanese friends I had ever had.

I had another bright and early morning the next day, Kobi came to pick me up to go to the Japanese Rotary Summer Orientation at 9am sharp. Momoko, the rebound from France, also came with us. On the way to the Summer Orientation, we stopped at a glass and art museum. Both were very fascinating. I had really wanted to get something from the glass museum, but everything was so extremely expensive! Oh well. When we arrived at the hotel/resort we would be staying at for the weekend, I was blown away by its beauty. Everything in Japan is so green and spectacular! We dropped off our stuff and headed up to the restaurant to meet with the other rebounds, Rotex, and inbounds for lunch. The view from the bay windows was breathtaking. There was a crystal clear lake right outside the hotel, with every sort of green tree surrounding it, and as a perfect backdrop, you could see Mt. Bundaisan. It was like living in a photo you see in National Geographic!


I am shocked at how this picture turned out! I might just have to sumbit it to National Geographic eh? LOL


After lunch, we headed off to another part of the resort to begin the Orientation. There I was able to meet the other four inbounds. And they were: Karly – Canada (we already knew each other), Ena – USA, Brenda – Mexico, and Oceanne – France. After introductions were made, we got to listen to both Momoko’s and the other rebound’s, Mashbat (he went to Canada and I have previously met him), presentations about their host countries. Everyone broke off after that and the inbounds sat with our counselors. We pretty much just got the basic round down on how things work there, Rotary wise and they answered any questions we had. After that, we were “released” to explore around until we had to go back to the hotel.


2010-2011 Inbounds! Left to right: Karly, Me, Oceanne, Brenda, Ena.


Once back at the hotel, we had about an hour of free time until dinner so we inbounds continued to explore around the hotel and its grounds. We had a great time and got to get to know each other more. Dinner was jaw dropping. It was like a full 5star course kind of meal. It was soo good and filling. After dinner, we went outside and played with handheld fireworks for an hour. They easily got us to file back inside when they told us they were able to get the Karaoke room for us. I don’t know how many hours we spent in there singing away. It was such a blast. I didn’t have any doubts that a Rotary function could be this much fun. It was late when they finally dragged us out of the Karaoke room, but we still all stayed up until 2am eating snacks and chatting. In the morning, we really regretted staying up that late because we had to be at breakfast by 8am.










Fireworks and Karaoke Night.









Right after breakfast, we took a trek down a 6km trail through the mountainside. It was really long, and really hot, but we still enjoyed ourselves. A lot of our group were stunned by the scenery but Karly and I jokingly said: “Tree, tree, another tree…oh look…it’s a tree! It’s like Canada!” We all had a hoot at that. We both still had so much fun and whenever we would pass a lake or stream, we would stop and just watch the water and take pictures of it. It was so clear and blue, it was shocking. You could see right to the very bottom of the lake, not even kidding. Once our hike was complete, we were rewarded with nice cold water and Gelato. Mmmmm. We then headed back to the hotel to have a closing BBQ, Japanese style! It was such a fun packed weekend and I can’t wait to do it all over again in November.


A picture I took during our hike. See what I mean by the water?


GO ROTARY GET TOGETHERS!!!




Yesterday, I had my school registration day. I was really nervous and I don’t know why because my host dad went with me and two other Rotarians joined us. I was able to put my uniform for the first time and I love it so much. The material is a bit thick so it makes it a bit hot, but the style is extremely cute. I met the principal and some of my teachers at the registration. They also ordered me school shoes and gym clothes after trying some on. I am really lucky to have the homeroom teacher I have. She is the English teacher! And her English is really good. Phew! Her name is Namae-sensei which is really funny because namae in Japanese means name. Haha! She told me she would take good care of me and if I was having any problems or difficulties to just come and see her. I also got my schedule and chose to take Japanese Calligraphy as an option course. Namae-sensei also told me that whenever I have English on my schedule I can have a sort of “free period” and do my own individual studies. She suggested to take this time to study my Japanese. She is also ordering me Japanese study books and textbooks for elementary school-goers for me to study from! I am so lucky to have her looking after me. My teacher also will be arranging me to meet/hang out with the English intern teacher from the USA at their schools on Thursdays. So that’s pretty awesome too.



I start school tomorrow and I have to give a speech at the opening ceremonies in front of the whole student body. Can you say nervous? I am really looking forward to going…and at the same time I’m not. I am kind of hoping one of my host parents will drive me to school on my first day which would lessen my nerves quite a lot.

And while I am on a roll with catching up on my blog here, nothing super interesting happened today. Just one of those relaxing days. I helped my host grandma shuck corn and figured out how to use their washing machine for laundry. My host mom also took me out to apply for my Japanese Health/Accident Insurance. (We went to apply for my Foreigner City Card yesterday as well.)

Hooray I think I am finished! Haha! It was a lot shorter than I thought it may be, but it still is one of my longer posts. Sorry about that, blame my love for writing! Please keep me in your prays as I embark a new world of high school here in Japan.

~Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment